Thursday 26 January 2012

Pitch: Evaluation



From my pitch I have found that I should use a specific typography that reflects the theme of my magazine. For example, I should use an Art Deco font perhaps within my double page spread which will reflect the era, this will appeal to my audience as it will tie in with the 50s pin-up inspired theme and stand out against conventional fonts. I feel that through the feedback process it was important to make my masthead stand out against other magazines. I will therefore conquer this problem by having 'POP' in a bubble/3D font and have 'HEART' in a sans serif font. I could also create the 'ea' to look like the shape of a heart and so will make my brand more recognisable.

I should also be careful to remain to focus on Pop but to not imply that it focuses on just pin-up artists of the past. I will do this my making my cover artist of modern pop music dress as a pin-up artist from which they are inspired, such as Marilyn Monroe, and the interview should focus on what inspired them from this era. The cover artist therefore will homage to their favourite artists during the 50s. Another issue which was not raised was the layout of my contents and I have decided I will have a long shot image of the cover artist in the central thirds of the page with the catergorised contents down the left-hand side shaped around the image.

I may also include outtakes of the photoshoot on the right-hand side to portray realism but I will see how it looks when I come to producing it. As well, I should not rule out my secondary audience of 25 years+ who will have a lesser percentage in my overall sales but should include mature and sophisiticated content to appeal to them as well.

I also presented my idea of a prop being the American flag in the style of a famous Marilyn Monroe picture which would cover my artist but I needed to be specific into whether it would then cover the clothing of the artist. To decide this I will carry out test shots to see what will be more appropriate.

The feedback to the title of my magazine 'POPHEART' was positive and would appeal to my young target audience of 16-25 years (females) as it is a cute name as well as not being exclusive to just present pop music but also past pop music.

3 comments:

  1. sian!
    I like how unique your magazaine idea's are, as I havent seen anything like it on the market. I think that the magazine could be improved slightly with a more creative name, something that reflects the time of the genre you have chosen (50's)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to point out that my magazine is a pop music magazine that takes inspiration from women during the 50s and is not completely 50s specific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your moodboard gave a clear insight to the style you are basing your magazine on. Your idea to use 50’s pin up is a fantastic idea as many female artists now adopt this style. May be give examples of artists that you think may incorporate this style into their performances.
    Your colour palette is original explain why these colours will work best for your genre of magazine.
    Experiment with what model you may use providing test shots of various models. Once you have decided on the model you think works best for your magazine explain why.
    You said your magazine is for 16-24 year adults, how are you going to make your magazine appeal to both genders?
    Your title is catchy now produce some examples of mastheads, using various styles before deciding on a final one.
    Your test shots are nicely composed and the use of a prop works well. Just be careful that your model isn’t wearing the same colour as your background if you intend to cut her out

    ReplyDelete