Monday 19 March 2012

Final Evaluation Question 2

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?


My cover artist shows a young female adult who is using a scarf as a prop to position across the end of the mid-shot by biting it in her teeth. This is used to represent my model provocatively but also show the fun characterisation of my artist. The scarf is used to imitate a style of Marilyn Monroe which appeals to the social group who are familiar with pop from the past as well as the future. The young female will allow my target audience of young female adults aged between 16-25 to relate to the artist and entice them into buying the magazine. It was important to use intertextuality by adopting conventions of media and art influences during the 50s/60s such as art deco and bright colours in order to embed them into my front cover particularly to attract my audience. By incorporating the social influence of 'Marilyn Monroe' onto my front cover and into the subject of my article within my double page spread I therefore adhered to the 50s/60s theme by using this as a selling point for my artist.

The cheerful yet emotive expression on my artist’s face allows her fun characteristics to be implied on the cover and will imitate the positive ideology of my magazine and will connote that it is a positive purchase. I used an orange overlay onto the front cover so that it brightens to tone and levels of my photograph which makes it stand out. These bright colours of the pink scarf and the blush tone on the artist make it subtly appeal to my majority of female audience and women who enjoy using make-up and hair styling. I purposely increased the saturation of the image so that these stereotypical feminine tones would be emulated on the cover.  This look therefore represents a social group of females who have a disposable income and enjoy styling themselves and looking up to role models in the music industry.

I emulated my artist profile in the typography by incorporating a different style font for the ‘X’ called LeviBrush to make it appear as if a lipstick had been swiped on the cover. This also connotes the idea of my artist’s fun style and how she enjoys fashion and sexualising her image for her career. For the double page spread I transferred the personality of my artist profile through her posing as she is doing a cute salute which ties in with the fashionable American theme. I also used several photos at the top third of the masthead of different outtakes of my photo shoot so that my young, fashionable, female social group will like the artist’s fun and wild side.  Through my contents page it is evident that a social group who listen to music from the late 50s to present would enjoy my magazine as I devote a section to “Past and Present”. The type of person would also be interested in current chart music which is shown through the “In Every Issue: Charts”. Therefore it shows that the type of person would be a young female who enjoys a wide range of pop music from every decade and is not confined to just present music.


Similarities & Difference: Cover Artist
During the research process, I considered the genre, being a 50/60s magazine and then based the features of my cover star among this. For example by having iconic curly hair which was a popular style at the time and adventurous make-up with thick eyeliner and bright lipstick to emphasise the feminine side to my artist. In terms of age, I decided my cover artist would be 23 as this is a prime age for many other pop artists and my target market were more likely to buy the magazine as she would be seen as an idol at that age.

Here, my cover artist is similar to pop superstar Katy Perry. In terms of styling they are similar as they both have brunette hair with make-up and red lipstick. This makes them both more provocative and interesting cover star to feature. In terms of pose they are similar, however the mise-en-scene of my flag makes it more appropriate for my music magazine in comparison to the purpose of FHM. The styling of the hair is also similar as they are both curled which gives the cover artist a more attractive and fun style for the cover.

However they both have props, whereas I have chosen a flag, Katy Perry adorns a cat mask to make her seem sweet and innocent. The differences would be the angle of which the artist is facing. Katy Perry is facing forwards straight into the camera whereas my cover artist has a titled head slightly to show innocence and also make room for the prop position biten in her mouth.

Although they do have a mid-shot so that the reader focuses on the face and top half of body. I also chose Katy Perry as her pop music is the kind of music my cover artist, Sophia Fox, would create to give her a cute and mass appeal but have a unique selling point in comparison to other pop artists. I think they appeal to non-gender specific as well so they would have a young audience of females who would idolise them and males who would be drawn towards their appearance.

I made my cover artist appear on the cover, contents and double page spread. This was because the reader could then see the different poses and angles of her outfit because the flag covers her outfit, whilst the contents shows the long dress and heels and the double page spread focuses on the middle of the dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment